This is from about 1-2 months ago:
Yesterday I saw Dominic holding Drew's hand and marching him to his bedroom. When they got to Drew's bedroom, Dom said, "Drewey, you need to go to time out. You made a sad choice. You can come out when you're ready to be sweet." Dom left Drew in his room and walked out. As he was walking away, I asked Dominic why he was putting Drew in time out. He very matter-of-factly stated,"Drew made a sad choice so he needs to go to time out." I pressed further, "Well, what did Drew do?" Dominic stated,"He made a sad choice, Mom, he needs a time out." Once again, I countered with, "Well, what was the sad choice?" Dominic, a little annoyed now that I didn't just believe him and let him put his brother in time out, said, "Drew was playing with the blinds." I talked to Dominic about it not being his job to put Drew in time out, and he looked at me like I was so ungrateful to him for his services. The funniest thing, though, was that while all this is going on, Drew stayed in his room crying and wouldn't come out until I told him that his time out was over.
I took Drew to the doctor's office for a check-up a few days ago. Apparently Drew is a little behind in verbal skills. He understands things just fine (like time out, even though I have never put him in time out), but he doesn't say many words. For example, all animals other than dogs and animals that roar, say "Baa." Anywho, the doctor advised me to work with him on his speaking skills and to make sure that Dominic doesn't answer for him. So that night, Drew, Dom, and I read some books together. While we were reading, I would ask him questions and ask him to repeat certain words or make animal sounds. Every time I would ask a question, Dominic would answer and then ask and answer his own made up question. I began to realize what the doc was talking about. Dominic does all the talking in this house, besides when I talk to myself. So, I asked Dominic to please stop talking so that Drew could get a word in. This is a frequent request because Dominic talks soooo much. But Dom was offended at the request. He plopped his thumb in his mouth and pouted. I tried to explain to him why I needed him to be quiet, but that didn't seem to help. So, I continued on with my questions to Drew. Each time I would ask a question, Dominic would start to answer and then he would shove his thumb in his mouth to prevent himself from talking. This may have been the hardest thing he has ever had to do. Also, he definitely has some Stevenson in him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment